British Olympic trials: Keely Hodgkinson beats Jemma Reekie and Laura Muir to say 800m spot - CayPress

Sunday, June 27, 2021

British Olympic trials: Keely Hodgkinson beats Jemma Reekie and Laura Muir to say 800m spot


Hodgkinson is coached by Trevor Painter and his wife and former world 800m medallist Jenny Meadows

Teenager Keely Hodgkinson says she is relishing taking on the world’s best after upsetting Jemma Reekie and Laura Muir to secure an 800m Olympic spot.

The 19-year-old European Indoor champion tracked Muir’s break before picking off Reekie to win the British title in one minute 59.61 seconds.

“I was a little bit of an underdog but the championship environment is something I thrive off,” she said.

“Every athlete aims to make the final and I’ll be the same.”

Muir, beaten to second by Reekie, will discover on Tuesday if she is selected for the 800m-1500m double in Japan.

“I know that doesn’t give me an automatic place but I hope I have done enough.” said Muir.

“It wasn’t a great race tactically for me but it is what it is. It wasn’t smart and you can’t afford that with the calibre of these girls.”

Hodgkinson, whose rapid rise included breaking the world under-20 record in January, has been…



The post British Olympic trials: Keely Hodgkinson beats Jemma Reekie and Laura Muir to say 800m spot appeared first on CaymanMama.com | News.



from CaymanMama.com | News https://ift.tt/3qwwOlW

No comments:

Post a Comment